9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 2:21 AM by joed

pH levels increase frequently

The pH in our tower garden is increasing and we have to either decrease or increase it every other day. We just got the tower garden about a week ago. Do we need to add more tower tonic? We don't want to keep having to adjust the pH. Help please!

• Re: pH levels increase frequently
          ronllewellyn

Tower Tonic is the nutrients for the plants and has nothing to do with raising or lowering pH of the water.  Help me understand what kind of water you are using (well, filtered, city, RO)?  You should be trying to get your pH near 5.5 to 6.0.  Where is your pH when your first fill it up and add tonic?  What are you using to lower or raise the pH (Base, Acid)?  How are your plants looking?  

2 of 2 people found this helpful

Plants are looking ok, I think they could be better. When we first filled up the reservoir our pH was at 7.5. We live in the suburbs of Orlando. We connected the water with a water filter by Camco (I think it's meant for RVs). We have used acid to lower the pH and have used it w few times to lower the pH. Thanks for your help!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  ronllewellyn

Understand I approach Tower Gardening as it should be easy and not complicated so I don't go crazy over gadgets or having a perfect pH.  Using the Acid to lower the pH, try and keep your water close to 5.5 to 6.0 but don't worry too much, your plants will not mind 5.0 or 6.5 at all so once you get close, STOP adding Base or Acid and give it a few days before you test it again. 

Truthfully once my TG's have been growing awhile I can go weeks without testing my pH, I focus more on what the plants are telling me.  I learned that from the Tower Garden master himself, Elton Dubose.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

I agree with you in regards to "let the plants" tell the story. Visually you can tell how well the plants are doing.

I always take a less is more approach to adding pH adjustment. One cap full at a time with the pump running then assess the pH after about 30 mins.

You need to give the pH adjustment solution time to circulate throughout the TG before checking again.

Water quality/source can dictate how much "pH creep" you will have to manage. Luckily the TG enviro is forgiving to pH fluctuations.

Best Jonathan

Image-2.jpg

joed

Hi candicelynng@gmail.com, You will find that many people take a very casual approach to maintaining their TG growing environment. You will also find a plethora of incorrect and often contradicting information as to the importance of such things as maintaining proper pH levels. Following such information always produces inconsistent results and eventually leads to disappointment and/or frustration. Here's an analogy: You toss a penny in the air and always want it to land on heads (that is your expectation). There are many factors that influence how the penny will land... and you are most likely aware of only a few, obvious ones. Nevertheless, they all combine to determine the destiny of the penny. You flip and flip and flip... sometimes you are on a "roll" and get heads over and over again. Then, out of nowhere, you get tails... and start asking "How did that happen? What's wrong? Why didn't I get heads?". Reality has it that if you flip the penny enough times, it will eventually come up 50% heads and 50% tails... unless you do something to favor the odds towards getting heads (your desired result). For example, make the tails side heavier so there is more of a chance it will land face-down - this provides an optimal condition for heads landing face-up. It is much the same with hydroponic / aeroponic growing. You can favorably skew the results you get from the TG by doing nothing more than following the "fundamentals". The fundamentals are very easy to follow. However, it gets more complicated if you start asking why, for example, it is *critically* important that TG pH stay within the 5.5 to 6.0 range (to scratch the surface of that question, have a look at this: pH Nirvana in the Tower Garden ). Back to answering your question: There are *many* factors that influence pH in the TG... I could do an entire workshop on just that one topic. In an attempt to keep my answer as simple as possible, I strongly suggest that you read and follow the TG Fundamentals: Tower Garden Fundamentals. Doing so is your best, simplest way to optimize your TG environment so that it comes up "heads" consistently. -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    dianehunt

PH IN MY GARDEN IS 4.5 I can't find anywhere how to adjust???HELP