10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 5:08 AM by clone

my basil seedlings grow slow and poorly

findinganni

Hi I have 2 towers and mostly everything I grow is abundant and beautiful.  But every time I grow basil from seed...it is so small and grows slow and sometimes just...dies before it's even 2" tall.  I put a tower in at our local school and their basil grows like crazy.  The tower has the lights and is also in front of a large window to get added light and the heat is on bringing the room to the mid-high 60's (cant go much higher$$$)  Is there a trick to getting the basil to grow stronger and faster? Like I said everything else grows fast and big (kale, arugula, chard, tomato, cucumber, parsley, spinach...)

• Re: my basil seedlings grow slow and poorly

Can you get us a couple pictures please as well as time line

joed

Hi findinganni, Basil requires a lot of light. It will grow poorly when day length drops below 11 hours. Basil is very susceptible to disease in low light and/or "short days" (winter days or when you run grow lights less than 14 hours). Avoid placing Basil seedlings into the TG too early. Wait until you can see roots exiting the rockwool cube. Sunlight through modern windows provides little light benefit because of filtering technology (i.e. UV filtering). -- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

findinganni

the basil had roots when I placed in the tower garden (barely)...I have tower lights on for 16 hours a day in front of a large window...the window are nearly 30 years old (not sure of UV but I have plenty of plants that thrived in those windows before I got the TG.)  Sadly I have no idea how to add photos for clone.  The seedlings were three weeks old when placed in the tower and I take photos every week...they have hardly grown. Every other seedling plant nearly doubled in size in that time...

ronllewellyn

findinganni, the "Insert Image" icon is the 7th button above when you are typing a reply (not visible when just viewing.) 

From when to when are you running the lights?

Sometimes I'll get a seedling that sprouts but takes forever to grow while everything else is thriving.  Last year mine was a little red russian kale!  It is probably a fluke plant because the rest of your TG sounds like it is doing well.

findinganni

I think it's the seeds although I'm using two different types...running

lights from 6am to 10 pm...I will add photos later but I noticed they

looked better today.I've been turning up the heat in that room and put the

water tank next to the baseboard hearters...that room can drop to 61

degrees at night...the temps may be the prob but since we have oil

heat...don't want to spend $$$ just to keep basil warm.  OMG my lettuce is

growing like crazy...I have 3 plants and have harvested two huge containers

in 7 days...

Andrea Price-Johnson

apricejohnson.juiceplus.com

(908) 399-3626

"Make one simple change."

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 1:38 PM, ronllewellyn <

joed

Hi findinganni, Forget about trying to warm the room. Instead, focus your energies (and money) on keeping the TG nutrient solution in the optimal temperature range of 65 to 75 degrees F. Once you have achieved this, you will discover that ambient temperatures can actually drop below freezing for brief periods of time and not adversely impact your crops. In other words, with a hydroponic system such as the TG, nutrient solution temperature is the primary temperature regulator. For safety and financial sake, keep the  TG plastics away from the baseboard heaters and get yourself a submersible heater for the TG nutrient tub. -- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

Here is some progress pictures of a basil I did last year into the summer.

it was a very slow start and sucks up huge amounts of light

use these pictures to maybe gauge your plant size if you don't meet these timings and size then I would suspect not enough light ore not enough nutrients I ran this grow at around 900ppm

you can see from the first two months the plant doesn't do much (it was in heavy shade from massive kale plants)  once the kale was remove it just started to grow crazy

2-14-2015 - Planted the seeds - day 0

3-14-2015 - placed in garden - day 30 (like I said very slow start)

2015-03-14-5.jpg

3-15 - day 31

2015-03-15-2.jpg

3-19 - day 45

2015-03-19-6.jpg

3-20 - day 46

2015-03-20-4.jpg

3-27 - day 53

2015-03-27-20.jpg

3-31 - day 57

2015-03-31-12.jpg

4-29 - month 3

2015-04-29-233213.jpg

5-27 - month 4

2015-05-27-233219.jpg

6-10 - month 5

2015-06-10-233226.jpg

8-28 - month 6

2015-08-28.JPG

findinganni

IMG_2443.JPG

This is the basil on January 2nd...the seedlings are about 3 weeks old. This photo was taken the day they were placed in the TG.

12440516_10208342477065324_20250698971647415_o.jpg

This is the basil 2 weeks later. 

IMG_3907.JPG

This is the basil this morning (4 days later.) 

I guess it's progressing normally!  I put an old fish tank heater in the tank (clean) which should bring the water up to 73 degrees and I tied a mini desktop spot light (with grow bulb) to the cage directly facing the basil.  It's giving off some heat, far enough away to not cause damage.  Will try this for a week.  I was stumped because my basil which I grow from seed on the deck in pots, seem to double in size every week!  But then again they have the advantage of strong sunshine.  Guess nothing beats sunshine!