9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2016 4:05 AM by joed

PH levels

mtnlily84

I live in a high mountain area and our water is under spring water. I took a sample and sat it out for 48 hours and the tested ph is 7.5.  After applying the acid to reduce the ph twice it is down to 7 PH.   Is there another way to do this without using so much of the reducer?

Please help.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

• Re: PH levels
          joed

Hi mtnlily84, I am not sure what "under spring water" is but I will assume you meant to say "underground spring water". Your high pH is most likely caused by a high dissolved solids content with little in the way of something called "pH buffers". There are several solutions to the issue, each with an associated cost. The most economical first step I would recommend you try is run the water through this filter: (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Filter-with-Hose/14504321) -- The activated carbon / KDF components of this filter will alter your pH depending on exactly what dissolved solids are at play here. If your pH continues to be a problem, the next recommendation is to use a high-volume RO (Reverse Osmosis) filter (ex: http://www.ehydroponics.com/hydrologic-stealth-ro-100.html). An RO filter will most certainly resolve your water issues (and produces virtually pristine water). Regardless of the action you take to resolve this issue, I highly recommend at a minimum, the use of a water filter with sediment-carbon-KDF elements. I also highly recommend you read over the following docs:

Your Water Source

pH Nirvana in the Tower Garden

-and most importantly-

Tower Garden Fundamentals

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              growstrongllc

I am also living in a mountain climate and use underground spring water for my tower garden. Same issue, which is the water is acidic, and I have to add a lot of base to the water. I obtain water for my Tower Garden in large 5 gallon bottles (4 of these fills the tower reservoir). I'm looking at the filter you suggested, and can't figure out how I'd use that on one of the 5 gallon water bottles.  I don't have a dispenser like the one in this photo - I just pour the 5 gallon bottles into the Tower reservoir.  Any ideas on how I could economically use the filters you suggested on these 5 gallon bottles?  Janine Fugere

-Spring Water 5 gallon bottle image.jpg

joed

Hi growstrongllc,

"Same issue, which is the water is acidic, and I have to add a lot of base to the water."

Actually, it seems you have the exact opposite issue. mtnlily84's source water pH is too high (a.k.a. too "basic"), yours is too low (a.k.a. too "acidic").

"Any ideas on how I could economically use the filters you suggested on these 5 gallon bottles?"

Yes. However, before I provide you with an answer that makes sense, please clarify: "I don't have a dispenser like the one in this photo - I just pour the 5 gallon bottles into the Tower reservoir." -- Are you purchasing 5-galllon water bottles from the store or filling them from a well on your property?

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

mtnlily84

I bought the RV filter and a short hose that I can connect to my faucet in laundry room.  It lowers it a little but then I let it sit for 24 hours retest and add the base to bring it down to 6.  That is working for me.  Interesting though is I used this last summer outside and didn't have to add anything to water to lower the PH.  Would love to know why.

joed

Hi mtnlily84, I will need some more information before I can answer your question...

• At what point in this process are you adding Tower Tonic to the water?
                  • Does the water flowing from the faucet in your laundry room pass through any type of house water treatment system such as softener?
                  • What is the pH of the water in the 5-gallon bottle 30 minutes after filling it?
                  • What is the pH of the water in the 5-gallon bottle 24 hours after filling it?
                  • How much "ACID"(**) are you adding to bring the nutrient solution into the 5.5 to 6.0 pH range?

(**) "...and add the base to bring it down to 6." -- "ACID" adjuster LOWERS pH, "BASE" adjuster RAISES pH.

I strongly suggest that you read through this doc: Tower Garden Fundamentals. Pay special attention to the nutrient mixing and pH bullet points.

mtnlily84

I add the tonic after the water has sat for 24-48 hours and I test it to see what the ph is.

All of our water is underground spring from up in the canyon.

When I let sit for  24 hours the ph is about 7- 7.5

I add a tsp at a time and wait for an hour and retest.  I have been trying different timings etc  to find the right formula.

I have read and re read the Fundamentals.   Thank you for reminding to do so again.  I have a note card next to Acid adjuster to keep on target.

joed

Hi mtnlily84,

Thank you for your feedback. We're almost there! :-)

I still need your answers to these very important questions:

• Does the water flowing from the faucet in your laundry room pass through any type of house water treatment system such as softener?
                          • What is the pH of the water in the 5-gallon bottle 30 minutes after filling it?

Re: "I add a tsp at a time and wait for an hour and retest"

You can safely add up to 2 teaspoons of pH adjuster at a time.

You can retest after 30 minutes.

mtnlily84

NO pour water does NOT pass through anything .

30 min after filling it is a 7 PH

Sent from my iPad

joed

Hi mtnlily84, Sorry for the delayed reply. Here are my recommendations:

Note: The following recommendations are tailored specifically for your situation and are based entirely on the responses you provided to me.

• Invest in a high volume Reverse Osmosis (RO) filter. Ex: http://www.ehydroponics.com/hydrologic-stealth-ro-100.html (also great for drinking water).
                                  • Do not waste your time letting your water sit around for 24 hours. Doing so has no benefits.
                                  • Carefully follow the nutrient mixing and pH adjustment bullet items described in the Tower Garden Fundamentals document (link provided in previous post).

Following those recommendations will eliminate the struggle to maintain your TG's pH (and improve your TG's productivity).