4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 1:08 PM by devans27

Food Tasting

I work at a Boys and Girls Club where we just started using the Tower Garden last month. We have been entered into a local food tasting expo where we need to supply 300 samples of something grown from the Tower Gardens. I am looking for any ideas about what we could make using items grown from the Tower Garden and how to get that many samples. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!

• Re: Food Tasting
          kym

Hello Jackie!

My 2 suggestions would be to create a small salad or a dish using pesto.

A Caesar salad with homegrown lettuce, homemade croutons, and Parmesan could keep additional costs low. You could also grow a lot of basil and make a pesto, make a pasta or pasta salad with the pesto. Herbs and greens grow very well indoors and you can make all kionds of great recipes.

You may want to let the kids take a look at some kid tested and approved recipes on Fork — Nicolas'Garden.

We can't wait to hear all about it!

2 of 2 people found this helpful

Similar thoughts as kym. Some simple dip on top a cracker garnished with herbs grown in the tower. Or a single lettuce leaf grown in the tower drizzled with dressing and garnished with basil or chives or mint grown in the tower.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Thank you to everyone for the great ideas. We decided to go with a salad using the lettuce grown in the Tower Garden. The students will be making a homemade Italian dressing and homemade croutons to accompany the salad. I will let everyone knows how it goes. It is in two weeks.

Fyi, the  Boys and Girls Club of Greater Memphis uses the Tower Garden at the Juice Plus+ Boys and Girls Club Technical Training Center in their Culinary Program. The oregano grown in the Tower Garden is used to make the most delicious Oregano Pesto!!! They sell it every other Saturday at the very popular Memphis Downtown Farmer's Market.  It taste better than  ANY pesto I've ever tasted!