8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2017 7:34 AM by dniezby

    Dead gnats/mosquitoes floating around in the water normal? Thanks

      I started my Tower Garden indoors w/grow lights, so I'm a new "outdoor" urban farmer. I filled my reservoir and let set for 2 days, as instructed.  While checking my pH, water levels, I noticed what appeared to be dead gnats or mosquitoes floating around in the water. Is that normal? I want to give my seedlings a fighting chance. Thanks for any help in advance. ~brown thumb

        • Re: Dead gnats/mosquitoes floating around in the water normal? Thanks

          Hi spiceland1, No, "dead gnats or mosquitoes floating around in the water" is not normal. FYI:


          • It is not necessary to "let set for 2 days".
          • Ensure you have all growing ports covered or populated with a net pot, rockwool and a plant.
          • Ensure that you keep the tub access port cover on completely at all times.
          • It is also helpful to stuff something like a small plastic bag in the nutrient pump power cord hole located in the sidewall of the tub.
          • Keep your nutrient pump timer set to 15m-On, 15m-Off, 24x7x365.


          -- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

          • Re: Dead gnats/mosquitoes floating around in the water normal? Thanks

            As joed mentioned, keep the ports covered.


            At his recommendation, I purchased cloning collars from Amazon and they are AMAZING and just the right size.

            This one shows how it's covering an open port. As you can see, it fits PERFECTLY.


            I've also used one to close up the supply line port. As you can see from this photo.  This one is a tight fit BUT it's that tight fit that makes this one so important and protective. You don't want water traveling down your power line to electric source.  This is why you want to use a drop loop or tie the knot in the cord. Using these collars is just double protection. IMG_1346.JPG


            As for timer, for indoors, joed mentioned, in another post, to start with 1 min on, 3 min off and fine tune from there. Ideally, it will be best in the 1-3 min on and 5-12 min off for indoors. I'm going through this situation myself. ( The timer titrating, not the bugs LOL )


            Lastly, just wondering where you heard that you had to fill your reservoir and leave it for two days?  Are thinking that's the way to get rid of chlorine? If so, what I have learned from the wisdom of joed , is that it's a BS method.  A good method is to neutralize the chlorine with Ascorbic Acid.

            Two forms of vitamin C, ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate, will neutralize chlorine. Neither is considered a hazardous chemical. First, vitamin C does not lower the dissolved oxygen as much as sulfur-based chemicals do. Second, vitamin C is not toxic to aquatic life at the levels used for dechlorinating water. Although ascorbic acid is mildly acidic and, in large doses, will lower the pH of the treated water, sodium ascorbate is neutral and will not affect the pH of the treated water or the receiving stream. Both forms of vitamin C are stable, with a shelf life of at least 1 year in a dry form if kept in a cool, dark place. Once it is placed in solution, however, vitamin C degrades in a day or two.

            Hopefully, joed has the math for our systems for you. (I need it too) I could figure it out but I'm sure he already has it since he's the one I first learned about it from.


            Hope this helps even more.






            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Dead gnats/mosquitoes floating around in the water normal? Thanks

              I found the the math for adding the Sodium Ascorbate to neutralize chlorine. 

              1/4tsp per 100 gal

              So, to make things easy, 1/16th tsp should more than do the trick for 20gal. Though, I don’t think it will hurt anything to use the 1/4 tsp if you don’t have a 1/16th measuring spoon. It is pH neutral so it should have little to no affect on your reservoir pH. Even if it does, you already know how to check you pH. (At least you should)