1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 6:39 AM by kym

size pots for traditional growing during tower garden challenge

I will be starting the tower garden challenge project for the first time with my students in September. I will have our tower garden indoors and I wanted to start gathering materials for the traditional plants that the students will grow alongside the tower garden ones for comparison. I read in the curriculum guide the materials needed for traditional plant growing but I had a few questions.

1.  Would I plant seeds in smaller trays or plastic pots at first and then after a seedling develops transplant them into larger pot?

2. If so, what size pots should I buy for transplanting the seedlings of the types of seeds that come in the tower garden starter kit? I believe I have seeds for lettuce, basil, etc.

3. Is there a certain type of soil mixture I should buy?

Thank you,

Paulette

• Re: size pots for traditional growing during tower garden challenge
          kym

Hello ungerpl,

I think the best way to get started is to either visit with a gardening store for advice or enlist the help of a Master Gardener (you can find someone in your area here Master Gardeners | American Horticultural Society) to assist you in setting up the traditional dirt garden part of your challenge. Master Gardeners have to obtain many volunteer hours to gain the designation and many have some great cost cutting ideas that could add to the project tremendously.

If you follow the guidelines of a creating a protocol and growing the same things in both the Tower Garden and the container garden, you should have a strong project. I find that growing greens (any varietal of lettuce) is the quickest and simplest thing to grow, and then you can have a salad party after harvesting!

Good luck and the best advice I ever received from a farm manager at a local school was that even failures are a learning opportunity for students, and on some cases they learn more from mistakes than they might have from a success. Happy growing!

1 of 1 people found this helpful