9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 10:08 AM by joed

Plastic has yellowed

psemich

My tower's plastic has turned yellow. Is this normal? Do I need to clean it to whiten it again?

• Re: Plastic has yellowed
          joed

Hi psemich, To restore the pearly whiteness of your TG, give this procedure a try:

How to Clean the Tower Garden

https://towertalk.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-130888

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

msedc

Did you have any luck restoring your yellowed garden tower plastic?  I have the same problem.

joed

Hi msedc, Did you try the cleaning process I recommended above?

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

msedc

Not yet.  The yellowing looks like old aged plastic.  Not dirt or stain.

joed

Hi msedc, Give it a try... you may be pleasantly surprised. The OxiClean / Vinegar / Soap / Water "paste" together with a Scotch-Brite or Magic Eraser pad will bleach as well as clean those stubborn yellow stains. Leaving the TG parts out in the sunlight with the moist paste on them for an hour or so will aide in the bleaching process. JoeD's Cleaning Solution is effective for 95% of the TG staining issue out there. However, if you try my cleaning solution and process and still have yellow stains, I do have another concoction that will get the job done.

tgdawn

What is your other concoction ... The OxiClean / Vinegar / Soap / Water "paste" together with a Scotch-Brite or Magic Eraser pad isn't working.

joed

Hi tgdawn, Here is my TG plastic brightener "concoction":

Before attempting to brighten the TG plastic, ensure it has been thoroughly cleaned and is free of all debris. I highly recommend the following cleaning procedure:

How to [Really] Clean the TG

https://towertalk.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-130888

SAFETY WARNING!!!

If handled incorrectly, hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) above 3% can cause severe chemical burns to skin and can also cause blindness if splashed into the eyes. It is strongly suggested that you wear goggles and gloves while working with hydrogen peroxide.

"Retr0Bright" Plastic Brightener Gel

• 1 teaspoonful hot (not boiling) water

In a small ceramic or plastic bowl/dish, dissolve the OxyClean in the hot water. While the OxyClean is dissolving, mix the Hydrogen Peroxide and Xanthan gum in a blender for five seconds. Add the Glycerine to that mixture and blend for another five seconds.

Let this mixture sit for five minutes then blend for another five seconds. Just before you apply the gel to the plastic parts, thoroughly stir in by hand, the dissolved OxyClean / Water mix into the Hydrogen Peroxide / Xanthan Gum mix. Apply the gel to the plastic parts and place out in direct sun. A day or so later, thoroughly wash the gel off. It may necessary to repeat the treatment for severe plastic yellowing.

desertgardener

Hi JoeD-

I just made a batch of your 'brightener' concoction and applied it to my yellowing parts, which are now sitting in full sun getting a 'sun-bleach'. I have a fair amount of the concoction still left over, and my question is this: can I save the extra leftovers until tomorrow or the next day in case I find my parts need a second application, or should I toss it and just whip up a fresh batch then (if needed)?

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: I think I answered my own question. I just found out that saving the leftovers is definitely not a good idea. LOL After sitting on my counter for 1 hour (covered in a glass bowl), the mixture started to expand and lift the lid of my bowl up. Thankfully, the thick, foamy consistency prevented any from dripping/spilling out. I disposed of it outside on some weeds, and as I did so, I looked over at my Tower parts that  I had smeared with the concoction, and after only one hour of sunbathing, all the yellowing has gone! Even the two areas that were really nasty yellow from me having laid a few bricks on the Tower cover for a period of time. It's all gone and a beautiful gleaming white again! I'm so happy! This stuff works!