4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 12:16 PM by jillm

What is this white stuff on rockwool?

jillm

Hi,

I see this frequently and finally decided to ask what it is and how I should handle it. My rockwool has a tendency to grow white stuff on the tops of it. Here's a pic of a brand new seedling I put in my indoor tower a few days ago. I have the water set to run 15 mins on, 45 mins off and I have 2 small fans running, one on each side of the tower.

Thank you!

Jill

IMG_1934.jpg

• Re: What is this white stuff on rockwool?
          joed

Hi jillm, That appears to be mold. As you may already know, mold is a fungus that likes high humidity, stagnant air, darkness and warm temperatures. Since you already are using the recommended stock nutrient pump timer settings for an indoor TG (15m-On, 30-45m-Off) and have employed fans to increase air circulation, I would look at your ambient air humidity and nutrient solution temperature. Lowering air humidity levels below 50% and keeping the nutrient solution (and ambient air) temperatures at the low end of the optimal 65 - 75° F. range will help mitigate mold growth. Also, because of the way mold / fungi propagate, once you have it, it's not so easy to eliminate. Some growers use hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) spray to kill mold however, I tend to not recommend this course of action because there are too many ways to use H2O2 and get it wrong (to the point it may be a safety and/or health issue). Another way to mitigate mold is to sanitize your growing system and tools. When it comes time to perform your total tower cleaning, I highly recommend that you consider performing the "SANITIZING the TG" steps of the following procedure:

How to Clean the Tower Garden

https://towertalk.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-130888

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

1 of 1 people found this helpful