4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 11:49 AM by joed

Transplant Seedlings

I planted multiple seeds per cube as instructed... they are now close to two inches tall or so.

My question is does it matter that multiple ones have sprouted up per cube?

• Re: Transplant Seedlings

Yes, it's reccomended to have one plant per pod. Choose your strongest. If you overload the tower with too many plants, the plants below may not get enough lights/nutrients.

Not for example on my rainbow chard I have about 5 sprouts do I just go ahead and pinch or snip the smaller ones and leave just one remaining?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  joed

Hi mclande, Rainbow Chard should be 1-per-cube. It's preferable to pull (a.k.a. completely remove) all the "smaller ones". Try not to disturb the roots of the "keeper". If you've waited too long to thin-out the seedlings, then complete removal will be too disruptive to the keeper seedling. In that case, cut the smaller seedlings flush with the rockwool cube.

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

joed

Hi mclande, With the exception of "bunching" plants like garlic chives, spring mix lettuce, etc., Larger plants like bibb lettuce, swiss chard, tomato, etc. should be thinned down to one seedling as soon as you can identify the biggest / best one. Allowing multiple plants to mature in a single rockwool cube will often cause the plants to fight each other for space and available resources.

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech