4 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 5:57 AM by bennfun

A Cold Night Ahead

lecollins0314

I'm in a panic, I placed my seedlings into my Tower Garden outside today thinking the low tonight in MN is going to be 55. I've done the proper hardening leading up to this. But now in watching the news the low tonight is going down to 44.  I did submerge a heater several hours ago but the water is still cold.  Wlll my plants be ok?  I'm thinking I may throw a sheet over the Tower just to be safe.  Any thoughts here to ease my mind?

• Re: A Cold Night Ahead
          ronllewellyn

lecollins0314, your plants will be fine.  The aquarium heater will eventually warm the water and warm the plants when the pump runs.  Throwing a sheet over will trap some additional heat.  I have started my TG's here in NC in late March/early April with lows in the low 40's and they've survived just fine.  When I do see 30's I tend to move them into the garage overnight.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: A Cold Night Ahead
            bennfun

I'm in TN, but have been in same situation when first planting in April here. I've read that your plants are OK even down to 38, but when it dropped below 40 I put a large bed sheet over my tower. The tomato cage helped support the sheet. I have never used a heater for the water. I have used both the sheet and a drop light bulb (attached to cage) to keep plants warm with frost warnings & extend my garden further into the cold fall season.

1 of 1 people found this helpful