9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2017 4:36 AM by joed

Growing chrysanthemums Indoors help!

plantguynyc

Hi guys, I'm a super new indoor grower in nyc. I purchased the tower garden indoor grow set and am doing a study on growing Chinese chrysanthemums for medicinal purposes. Does anyone have any input, advice, etc for growing these plants? do I have to pollinate them? Can I grow them next to herbs and leafy greens?!

• Re: Growing chrysanthemums Indoors help!
          joed

Hi plantguynyc, Growing any type of flowering plants together with leafy greens & herbs is going to be a challenge. The additional red spectrum light you should use to promote the reproductive growing stage of flowering plants will also affect your leafy greens and herbs (premature bolting). As for general advice, input, etc. on growing chrysanthemums hydroponically, you may find some helpful info here:

Chrysanthemums Hydroponics

http://www.chrysanthemums.info/hydroponics/

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

plantguynyc

Hey Joe thanks for the response.

Would you say I have to choose between leafy greens and flowering plants in my indoor grow tower?

Daven Mayeda

Hairstylist/Makeup Artist

310-213-1344

Davenmayeda@icloud.com

Http://www.honey-artists.com

El ago. 10, 2017, a las 7:57 PM, joed <noreply-towertalk@towergarden.com> escribió:

Tower Talk

Re: Growing chrysanthemums Indoors help!

reply from joed in Indoor Growing - View the full discussion

Hi plantguynyc, Growing any type of flowering plants together with leafy greens & herbs is going to be a challenge. The additional red spectrum light you should use to promote the reproductive growing stage of flowering plants will also affect your leafy greens and herbs (premature bolting). As for general advice, input, etc. on growing chrysanthemums hydroponically, you may find some helpful info here:

Chrysanthemums Hydroponics

http://www.chrysanthemums.info/hydroponics/

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Tower Talk

Start a new discussion in Indoor Growing by email or at Tower Talk

Following Re: Growing chrysanthemums Indoors help! in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Tower Talk because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Tower Talk, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

>

russ

I have never heard of red light causing plants to flower prematurely. After all, sunlight has plenty of red. My understanding is that red light stimulates flower development. However, it triggers blooming only when the plants are exposed to a certain number of hours of light and dark. The relative length of the day and night has different effects on various plants, a phenomenon known as "photoperiodism".

Some flowers, like chrysanthemums are "short day" plants that flower when they have a long period of darkness (i.e., more than 12 hours). So you can grow them with more than 12 hours of light, then shift to a shorter period of light and they will flower. (That's how growers get poinsettias to bloom just in time for Christmas.) Lettuce is the opposite. It is a "long day" plant that flowers when the night is short. My lettuce bolted when I went to more than 14 hours per day of light; spinach was even worse. Some short day plants are so sensitive to this that they will fail to flower if you interrupt their dark period even very briefly with red light.

If you combine short and long day plants in the same tower, you will have to be very careful about the periods of light and dark; i.e., to keep the flowers from blooming prematurely, you may cause the lettuce to bolt. You may want to try 13 hours of light, which is not enough to cause the flowers to bloom, but enough to keep the lettuce happy. When you want blooms, increase the light to more than 14 hours, but don't be surprised if the lettuce bolts and other greens may have different requirements.

joed

Hi russ, You may have mistaken my use of the pleonasm "premature bolting". I use this term frequently when responding to posts on these growing forums as most people (incorrectly) associate the word "bolting" with "the plant has begun to flower / fruit"... and I simply play along since it's just easier for me to say "bolting" - LOL.

So, what are we really talking about here? (for the benefit of others reading this post)...

A plant will move from the vegetative growth stage (focus on growing leaves) to the reproductive stage (focus on flowering / fruiting) at its own pace, based on the state of several environment and internal "triggers"... thresholds in light spectrum, duration and density, air temperature, volume of vegetative growth are just some examples of these triggers. Reaching one or more of these trigger thresholds does not necessarily start the process; it's more complicated than that... and beyond the scope of discussing here - the TG Tech group may be a better platform for it - but a little dip into the nerd pond here may be OK:

"Bolting" is the premature start of a plant's reproductive stage caused by setting-off the proper number, type and sequence of triggers either intentionally or unintentionally.

Now that I have (hopefully) clarified things, let me respond to your post above :-)

Specific PAR in the "red" spectrum have been shown to promote the reproductive stage of plants. This is fact.

Categorizing the reproductive stage light trigger into short day, long day or neutral day is oversimplification. If fact, the duration of light alone (ex: 14 hours, 13 hours, 16 hours, etc.) really doesn't mean much unless you factor-in the amount (PPD) and density (PPFD) of that light.

russ

Thanks, Joe. This stuff is fascinating!  I wonder if there isn't some variety of green that could successfully work with crysthanthemums for plantguynyc. I know that there are some greenhouses that use lights for well over 14 hours for greens and get away with it.  I also know that some won't use lights with a lot of red when growing certain greens (some cultivars of arugula for instance) because it promotes stem growth when they are looking exclusiively for leaf growth.

I suppose bolting depends on each plant's triggers, but it is difficult to come by that information. I had a hard lesson in that recently when I spent a week away from home and left the TG in good shape. I came home to some bolted plants, apparently because someone closed the door to the room the TG is in, cutting it off from the air conditioning during a period of hot weather.

Can you give me a point of clarication? When you say that PAR in the red spectrum will "promote" flowering, does it actually trigger it or does it just cause more and better flowering?

joed

Hi russ,

"When you say that PAR in the red spectrum will "promote" flowering, does it actually trigger it or does it just cause more and better flowering?"

Promote: further the progress of something; actively encourage.

So...

"Specific PAR in the 'red' spectrum have been shown to [further the progress / actively encourage] the reproductive stage of plants."

To expand a bit more on this (and really get your head hurting), WHEN you apply light is as important as WHAT spectrum of light you apply. Search the web for "Red Light Night Break" as one example of what I'm talking about here.

At this point russ, I think we have strayed quite a bit off the original topic... so I will end it here. Feel free to continue this discussion in a more appropriate forum section... like TG Tech. ;-)