9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 8:13 AM by dperrone

Help...az summer heat killed my tower plants

kraymond

Trying to grow my tower garden in AZ and having challenges....summer heat killed all the plants.  Wanted to start fresh so I cleaned it all out and ready to plant.  What can I plant in November? Any guidance?

• Re: Help...az summer heat killed my tower plants
          dniezby

Are you planning to protect your tower from the direct sun? What about moving it indoors or a greenhouse? Going to need to know more about what you're planning to do so you're not wasting resources on making the same mistakes.

hciancioso

There is a Tower Farm located in AZ - True Garden and they grow seedlings. I would suggest visiting their website to see what they are growing. You can also visit local nurseries. What you grow in the ground in November applies to what you grow in your Tower as long as it is above ground plants. Know the plants for your seasons and grow zone,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              coop

I live in Yuma and gave up on outdoor growing with Tower Garden.  The heat is just too intense for the plants.  In addition, the water evaporates so quickly that is a challenge to maintain proper nutrient concentrations.  Even in the winter months, I had constant caterpillar problems that would wipe out my Tower in a single week.  It made me realize how much pesticides they must use in all the growing fields around here (another reason to own a Tower Garden).  I recommend to move indoors, get a lighting system, and enjoy the successful growing as I have.  If you ever visit AZ-True Garden, you'll notice they also do their growing in a greenhouse where they can control the environment.  Cheers.

dniezby

I hope you're not giving up on it all together. Move it indoors? What about a greenhouse (if you have the ability to do that)? There are solutions to the things you've mentioned.  For example, choose different crops, move TG's off the ground, insulate the reservoir, build a screen room for pests, etc.  Don't give up the fight for great nutrition and healthy foods. 

desertgardener

I live in the desert, too, where summer temps are brutal (typically anywhere between 105-115F on a daily basis) and a cloudy day is as rare as hen's teeth. For what it's worth, I've been growing the following quite successfully since the third week of August from seedlings I started myself (with the exception of the wildfire lettuce, chocolate mint, Amethyst basil and Starbor kale, which I bought from True Garden in AZ): 3 different varieties of heirloom tomatoes, one H-19 Little Leaf cucumber plant, 3 different kinds of basil, one chocolate mint, 4 kinds of Alpine strawberries, Starbor kale, collard greens, wildfire lettuce, romaine lettuce, bok choy, stevia, cilantro, celery, lime balm, and green onions.

Mind you, the temps were about 105F and coming down when I planted all the above and I thought we were pretty much done with the uber-high temps for the season, when all of a sudden the temps shot up to 112F for several days in a row, and they have pretty much sat somewhere between 100-105F for a good portion of this month. It's been crazy, but in spite of the temps, I've been harvesting 2-gallon ZipLoc bags of produce off my tower at least once a week.

I've only been growing with the Tower for a little over a year now, but in my brief experience so far, the Tower seems to defy all of the conventional gardening wisdom set down over the centuries. For example, in spite of what is said about tomatoes not being able to set fruit when temps get into the 90's, all 3 of my tomato plants set fruit in September when temps were still 105F and above, and two days ago I picked my first ripe tomatoes, and also my first ripe cucumbers off the Tower.

In any case, for what it's worth, I successfully grew many of the very same things as I mentioned above last year all throughout the fall, winter and spring before dismantling my Tower for the height of the summer (June through the first 2 weeks of August). If you haven't done so yet, I highly recommend buying a roll of silvery insulated bubble wrap from Lowe's to double-wrap around the reservoir, and also buying the silvery shade cloth that TowerGarden sells to drape over the Tower when you see your plants struggling in the heat. I draped the cloth over my Tower during the hottest part of the day on those 112F days in August, it knocked the temps down by 10 to 15 degrees inside my Tower and kept my plants happy. It also protects from frosts in the winter.

lakesara

I live In Phoenix and I go by what True Garden is growing and I also have a Desert Planting Calendar that I use.  I started my outdoor garden September 1st and I've been harvesting lettuce, kale, green onions and my first bell peppers and tomatoes are ready for harvest...