15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 7:48 AM by joed Branched from an earlier discussion.

Confused about my wilt

dilatedesignz@gmail.com

Glad someone posted this, My tower is outside with plenty of sun. I had more roots showing then this pic and once I moved them into the tower they are all sad now, soft droopy leaves. I dont understand what happened. My PH is at 6.0 and I used half strength tonic with RO water. Any thoughts?

• Re: Confused about my wilt
          dniezby

I just put my seedlings in today. I can't help, yet.  In my experience with questions like yours, you're going to need to post some high-quality photos.  So, if you could, please make sure to attach some photos of the plants so we can see them.

In the meantime, why don't you take a look at this blog post

How to "Read" Your Plants and Prevent Problems in the Garden

joed

Hi dilatedesignz@gmail.com, A few questions...

Did you grow these seedlings from seed or were they purchased as-is?

Did you "harden-off" the seedlings before placing them in the TG?

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

dilatedesignz@gmail.com

I grew from seeds. By harden off do you mean thin out and only kept the strongest plant? I thinned out some plants but not all. Being my first tower I wanted to experiment.

joed

Hi dilatedesignz@gmail.com, "Hardening-Off" is a process by which you acclimate your seedlings to their final growing environment.

-------

How to Harden Off Seedlings

If you’re like me, you’ll eagerly await the day you can transplant your seedlings outdoors. But for best results, you should introduce your plants to the outside world gradually. This is a process called “hardening off.”

When you start seedlings indoors, they know only the stable, safe conditions of your home, where they enjoy consistent temperature, ideal lighting, and protection from pests.

If you pluck them out of that little utopia and stick them into an environment with wind, rain, temperature fluctuations, insects, and so on, they’ll get stressed.

That stress can stunt your seedlings’ growth. In fact, it could even kill them. And clearly, if that happens, your reasons for starting seeds early become rather moot.

So hardening off is important. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy, requiring only a few minutes each day starting one week before transplant day.

Just follow these steps:

* For seven days, set your seedlings outside in a relatively protected area (e.g., somewhere with indirect sun and little wind exposure).

* On the first day, leave your seedlings out for only an hour. Then each following day, add an hour and start to expose them to more sunlight.

* On the final day, your seedlings will have experienced seven hours outside. After that, they should be hardy enough to transplant.

Tower Tip: To start the hardening off process even earlier, aim a small fan—set on low—at your seedlings as they grow indoors, and gently touch their leaves and stems a few times each day.

Once you’ve hardened off your seedlings and they’re about three inches tall with roots growing from the rockwool, you can transplant them. Plant one seedling per growing port in your Tower Garden by gently pressing the rockwool cube in until it touches the base of the net pot.

Tower Tip: Starting a Tower Garden full of new seedlings? Be sure to use half-strength nutrients for the first month. That formula is: 10mL of Mineral Blend A + 10mL of B / gallon of water.

-------

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

dilatedesignz@gmail.com

I was bringing the seedlings outside daily for sun after they begun to sprout. about a week before moving them to the tg I was using the diluted mineral solution in the tray also. In the evening I would bring them back inside. They have no died yet but they are not looking any better either

dniezby

I'm all indoors but I also didn't use half strength.
                            I fed my seedlings at full strength so I just kept my tower at that level. They're doing very well - knock on wood.

joed

Hi dniezby, BABY STEPS - Feeding young seedlings (~ <= 4 weeks old) full strength nutrients is like giving a T-bone steak to a newborn baby for dinner.

• In Tray: Germinating seeds do not require nutrients; they have all they need inside the seed.
                                • In Tray: Sprouts (shortly after germination), can benefit from a very diluted (1/4 strength) nutrient mix.
                                • In TG: Seedlings can tolerate a slightly diluted (1/2 strength) nutrient mix.
                                • In TG: Mature plants can tolerate a full strength nutrient mix... and in some cases, require it.

Helpful References:

Joe D's Seedling Growing Procedure

https://towertalk.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-1212

Key takeaway points:

• Make sure you properly prep your rockwool starter plugs (and do NOT squeeze them!!).
                                • Process each rockwool starter plug individually - not as a group.
                                • Keep starter plug in total darkness until first signs of germination... then, move to LOTS of light area.
                                • Don't over-fill the germination and seedling trays!!! - Keep just enough liquid in the tray to cover the bottom of the starter plugs.
                                • Begin the "hardening-off" acclimation process about 1 week prior to placing seedlings in the TG.

...and of course, when you do get your seedlings in the TG, always abide by these (indoors or outdoors):

TG Fundamentals

https://towertalk.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-1197

How to Mix TG Nutrients

https://towertalk.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-131373

You may find this doc useful as well:

TG Nutrient Solution Strength Selection

https://towertalk.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-131311

joed

Hi dilatedesignz@gmail.com, It all sounds correct to me. So... the hunt continues for the root cause of your wilt.

This may be something simple like the sun it too intense for the young seedlings... or something more complicated like something wrong with your nutrient mix. Let's continue by eliminating some variables.

Please have a careful look at my post to dniezby just above (especially "TG Fundamentals" and "How to Mix TG Nutrients").

Let me know if you are deviating from those guidelines in any way.

Also, describe your TG location in a little more detail... What is your zip code? How many hours of direct sun? Is the sun filtered / dappled in any way? What are your daytime and evening temps? etc. etc.

dilatedesignz@gmail.com

I followed the TG Fundamentals precisely. I also use a Hanna digital PH checker, calibrated meter. The TG is located outside on a southern facing patio zip code 92663. The temps are cooler at night, in the 60's and during the day warming up to the 70's and sometimes 80's. later this week it will be in the low 80's. There is no filter from the sun and the TG gets about 7 hrs of sun. At night the leaves seem to firm up. I also want to note that they are not dead or appear to be dying and not all of the plants are soft. Its just seems to been the lettuce varieties, and its the outer most leaves that are soft and droopy. I can almost say that they seem to be getting better, very slowly. Im going to speculate here that they went into shock because I did not harden them off fully. I was not consistent in giving half strength tonic while in the tray and further more I only gave half strength a few times before moving them to the tg. I donk think there is anything else I can do other then to keep an eye and see how they do

joed

Hi dilatedesignz@gmail.com,

"Im going to speculate here that they went into shock because I did not harden them off fully."

Based on all your input to me, I firmly believe this is the root cause of your wilt.

"I was not consistent in giving half strength tonic while in the tray"

This is actually a GOOD thing... as you should use only 1/4 strength nutrients in the seedling tray.

"I only gave half strength a few times before moving them to the tg"

Again, this is a GOOD thing... Plain water (tray)-to-1/4 strength (tray)-to-1/2 strength (tray)-to-1/2 strength (TG)-to-full strength (TG) is the way to go... BABY STEPS  ;-)