2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 6:27 AM by dniezby

Cilantro

dniezby
      Curiosity about my cilantro. Since I have never grown it before, I'm used to seeing the long slender stems and while I have some, there also seems to be a cluster of leaves forming in the center - like lettuce.  It's not, so I'm really just wondering if this is normal in the type of indoor setting or if something I may be doing causes it. 

I thought I read somewhere that the stems are shorter when it doesn't have to reach out to get light. Clearly, in my indoor tower - it doesn't. 

Thoughts? 

• Re: Cilantro
          joed

Hi dniezby,

"the stems are shorter when it doesn't have to reach out to get light. Clearly, in my indoor tower - it doesn't"

Unless you are a commercial indoor grower using a high-end ($$$) professional grade lighting system, There is no such thing as "enough light" when it comes to growing indoors.

You may find this article helpful:

The Secrets to Successfully Growing Cilantro (and Coriander)

http://www.towergarden.com/blog.read.html/en/2017/9/growing-cilantro.html

BTW... I suggest that pop the top edge of those grow port plugs out of the growing ports so they press against the white edge of the tower section above. This will mitigate the possibility of nutrient solution leakage from the occasional stray drip coming from the internal drain holes (it also makes it easier to remove the plug).

-- [please mark this post as "Correct Answer" (under Actions menu) and/or "Helpful" when appropriate] -- Happy Growing! -JoeD towergarden level2concepts tgtech TG Tech

• Re: Cilantro
              dniezby

Thanks. Already read that great article. Really love the blog posts.  Always good stuff. 

It's growing pretty well so far. I had never grown it before so I was wondering if the low growth was normal or the result of something I've done.