3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2018 4:11 PM by dniezby

system of a greens

sageann

Good day all. I am starting my hydroponic garden! I don't have much room and would like to dedicate a whole system to just greens.  I was looking at a square frame design with 4 or 5 rows on a stand for this. How large should the holes be for greens, I've noticed different sizes in the kits I've found. Do you recommend getting a kit? or making one myself? We're pretty handy and I have some time to dedicate to making one just not sure how effort and cost worthy it will be, I haven't priced the DIY materials yet, but I've found some complete kits in the $90 range with a pump. Anyone recommend a smaller "deck size" system they've used? I'm a college student with a really limited budget so cost is a factor and I'm ok with something that may not last longer than 2 years for right now.

I am in Orlando. I can place it in 2 spots outside, for light considerations would I want morning to about 3 pm sun with shading from the hard late Florida sun or do I want to use that late sun for better produce? Is the pump ok in that hot sun or should that be under a covered area? Are they noisy when they run? One spot is close to a neighbor's bedroom window so I don't want to disturb them and I can build shade if I need to. Do I need to consider the squirrels? Are they going to be the ones benefiting from my efforts? I adore them but I'm not doing this for their health =)

Thank you all for helping with what I'm sure will be the beginning of a lot of questions

PS

Anyone have an Excel spreadsheet they like to use?

• Re: system of a greens
          dniezby

sageann wrote:

Good day all. I am starting my hydroponic garden! I don't have much room and would like to dedicate a whole system to just greens. I was looking at a square frame design with 4 or 5 rows on a stand for this. How large should the holes be for greens, I've noticed different sizes in the kits I've found. Do you recommend getting a kit? or making one myself? We're pretty handy and I have some time to dedicate to making one just not sure how effort and cost worthy it will be, I haven't priced the DIY materials yet, but I've found some complete kits in the $90 range with a pump. Anyone recommend a smaller "deck size" system they've used? I'm a college student with a really limited budget so cost is a factor and I'm ok with something that may not last longer than 2 years for right now.

I am in Orlando. I can place it in 2 spots outside, for light considerations would I want morning to about 3 pm sun with shading from the hard late Florida sun or do I want to use that late sun for better produce? Is the pump ok in that hot sun or should that be under a covered area? Are they noisy when they run? One spot is close to a neighbor's bedroom window so I don't want to disturb them and I can build shade if I need to. Do I need to consider the squirrels? Are they going to be the ones benefiting from my efforts? I adore them but I'm not doing this for their health =)

Thank you all for helping with what I'm sure will be the beginning of a lot of questions

PS

Anyone have an Excel spreadsheet they like to use?

Well, first things.  The square system you're mentioning will take up a lot of space. I can introduce you to our Tower Garden systems which are literally 2 1/2' of horizontal space.  Perfect for decks, patios, greenhouses or even your living room.   Parts, materials, manpower, food grade materials are all concerns when you try to build a system yourself.  If you really want a system that will be food grade, 5 minutes to build and have proper port sizes, nutrient calculations, timers, pumps and everything you need to grow greens successfully, (indoor and out)  please feel free to contact me directly. My name is Dave and can be reached  (888) 400 - 0357. Or take a few moments and see an intro video to our systems at http://ugrowfood.com

As for the rest of your questions, I can answer them for you if you decide to give me a call. We can get everything you need for you all at once and make it easy for you to obtain.

Here is my set up right in my living room

20171226_183610801_iOS.jpg

http://myjp.pw/2oqEZ79

sageann

I appreciate your response but your system is way out of my budget.  I do have a yard, it's just small but much larger than a deck, cost is more of a factor to me right now than space is

dniezby

I hear ya. I actually thought my system was expensive but then I found out they have a payment program. Lol. I went crazy then. Ordered everything I could because everything you order at the time of a tower purchase, can be put in the payments.  After adding up my costs and comparing it to the produce I no long have to buy at the store, I’m saving $250 a month. 

Either way, if you’d like to know more please feel free to reach out.  Otherwise, keep looking around here and learn from others.  

-Dave

(888)400-0357